7.01.2009

We're Finally Here!!!

July 1, 2009

Homeless- A common scene in Belize
We are finally in Belize! I am so thankful for all of the prayers we received for a safe flight. We got here safely and with our luggage. Continue praying daily as we seek to do God’s will in this ministry. I am so happy that we can now inform you about how things are going. We now have internet in our apartment and are quickly learning the ropes and the dos and don’ts of the city. Our biggest obstacle (or, at least for me) is the noise of a city. It’s definitely not the quiet five acres of peace we had in Florida; but, if that’s the biggest problem I have… I figure life is good.
I have always been a simple person. I’ve never been a big fan of hairspray, or taken an hour to get ready for something (not even on my wedding day)! I have no doubt this is my calling. I still may catch myself complaining about being hot or having no box springs, or am about to eat a food item that I can’t read the ingredients. It’s that same moment I think about KC, the security guard across the street. He told me recently, how he spent his childhood eating out of other’s trash. I‘m sure, it is safe to say, he probably didn’t have a mattress then, and he probably doesn’t have one now. I’m not writing this to make you feel badly for him or me. I’m writing this to remind us all of the small and big blessings in our lives. A couple of weeks ago my big challenge was to figure out what to bring to Belize in only two suitcases. I knew our apartment had a refrigerator and air conditioning in only one room. I wanted to bring as much as I possibly could. I managed to bring three pots and some sheets when we came in April. I brought T-shirts, shoes, shorts, church clothes, hats, shampoo, CD’s, etc.(can you believe I made it under the weight limit with my bags?). I unpacked after arriving here and, I was grateful for it all, but soon realized that half of it was just unnecessary. My Bible, a few clothes and a good toothbrush were all I needed. Things are nice to have; but, If we make them more important than our Father, our relationships, our time and our talents, we are selling ourselves short. I regret all the time and money I’ve wasted on things I thought I needed. In a way, it’s actually nice to get back to the basics. It makes me realize what is important. God Bless You All! I love you so much.

Amanda

2 comments:

  1. What a blessing to read that y'all are well and that all is "Well with your Soul".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying these blogs completely. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

"Oh the joys of those who are kind to the poor! The LORD rescues them when they are in trouble. The LORD protects them and keeps them alive. He gives them prosperity in the land and rescues them from their enemies. The LORD nurses them when they are sick and restores them to health."

Psalm 41: 1-3

OUR MISSION: To serve among the poor, bring a message of hope, and reach a nation of struggling youth for Christ and incorporate them into the life of the local church.